Friday, November 13, 2009

Welcome to Jolly Ol'

There's always something so uniquely strange about the night before going on a trip someplace. Tomorrow - no - in less than 12 hours I'm going to be in London. I think the average person would be excited and, don't get me wrong, I am but at the same time there's a flighty sort of misunderstanding of perception that I get before going someplace. Tomorrow, I'm still going to be me but I'm me somewhere new and that fact always seems to mess with me just a little bit. I think I have reality issues; something can't be real until I've seen it for myself. Right now, London holds the same level of believability over me as Never-Never Land. Soon, however, it will be solidified as fact in my mind, as a place that exists in both space and memory - at least to me anyways. It's that thought that puts me off slightly and gets me pondering.

Isn't odd how you can know exactly where you're going without ever having been there before? It's just one of the reasons that maps fascinate me. I may never have been to London but I already know what some of the places I want to go are and where they are. To me, that seems a bit against the point - isn't it? To go someplace new while having a full understanding of exactly what you're going to do there seems to defeat the purpose altogether of going somewhere new. I think, in alot of cases I tend to do the touristy type things simply because I wouldn't know what else to do or because it's expected of me ("How could you not have seen Buckingham Palace?") and not because that's actually what I want to do there. Honestly, I don't know what I want to do anywhere, not fully anyways. Maybe that's why I feel as though I can never stick around one place for too long - because maybe the next place might have something.

Who knows? It's too late though and I don't think I can properly articulate the rest of what's in my head so maybe that'll be for the night before I go someplace else. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment