Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Birthday

Some people don't get math, some don't get books, some don't get folk music, some don't get Picasso, some don't get love. Me? I don't get birthdays. I wish that I could forget my own birthday and be done completely with the whole concept but unfortunatley there are people who have a nasty habit of reminding me it's my birthday by wishing me a happy one and also my number remembering skills are far too good for me ever to forget it. Goddamn. I just don't get birthdays

"Everyone should be nice and treat me nice and I should get special treatment because today is my birthday!"

But first let's look at what a birthday signifies. Your birthday celebrates the anniversary of the day that you crawled your way out of some strange lady's vagina. Good for you! That's a huge accomplishment! What's your encore act? Learning to piss in a toilet? And then on top of that, the system of measurement we use for a year is completely fallacious. Seriously, it's so innacurrate that every four years we have to add an entire extra day on to keep things from fucking up. Seriously? What the fuck? People actually buy that shit? You think the people who put shit on the moon wouldave been allowed to get away with that huge discrepency? No, no they wouldn't because if they did then SHIT WOULDNT WORK RIGHT!

Today was my birthday, well yesterday actually as it's past midnight now. More specifically, today was my 19th birthday. Yay? I guess? I only really went out because my friends were all "We should go someplace and celebrate". I woulda been fine just hanging out but hey, anyplace where friends are is a good place. I'd probably have no inclination to go out if it weren't for those friend people so I guess it was good. I picked this blues bar that had music and it was pretty rad, except for that it was a bar.

I can't stand bars... except for when there's music and even then it's a bit of a compromise. We got there and I had one drink cause "It's your birthday and you have to have a drink on your birthday especially cause it's your nineteenth". Everyone was fairly adament about that, even the one girl who is generally good about such things. So I had one drink. And everyone was all, "what the fuck, why aren't you drinking more" and I was toying with the idea of leaving when the music guy came on.

He was damn frickin' good

Course, we were all clapping and whatnot after the first song (Lenny - SRV) and he says something to us and one of the people I was with (forget who) yells out that it's my birthday (which kindave ruined a piece of advice a friend gave me previously: "Don't think of it as a massive birthday celebration-just think of it as a fun night out with friends"). Bloody great, now the whole bar knows it's my birthday and I have to put up with strangers congragulating me about something that I don't give two shits about. So yay for that.

Then, they started goading me on to have another drink, luckily I have school in the morning and had to drive back home eventually else they wouldave never let up on me because clearly, not wanting to drink on your nineteenth birthday is something seriously wrong and unacceptable in this world. So again, I wanted to leave. This happened several times throughout the night. Though, to be fair, "the girl who is generally good about such things" had picked up on my thoughts by then and she was not a part of the "enouragement". Were it not for her I probably wouldave buggered off, even with the bitchingly good tunes floating all around me. Everytime they got on about drinking I wanted to leave. Seriously, FUCK RIGHT OFF. I wasn't looking for a bar to go to and then picked that one because it had what looked like good music. I picked the music... and it just happened to be at a bar.

This is why bars shouldn't exist. Just because you go to one, everyone naturally assumes that you want to/should drink. Alcohol should be sold everywhere to everyone. Especially children. That'll teach 'em a lesson or two.

Overall though, it was a fairly good night wouldave been a great night if it weren't for the whole "birthday" and "drinking" thing that I was constantly being reminded of.

Maybe I just wanted to hang out with some friends and listen to some music... is there something wrong with that?

2 comments:

  1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to hang out with friends and have fun without being all incoherent and thought-impaired- kudos to you for sticking to your resolution. I think you're one of the few people who truly understand that, and I'm terribly sorry that there was so much pressure as to almost kill your night. Perhaps I should have insisted on an obligatory birthday tea? (Still possible- we still have that other day that was completely forgotten about- poor thing. It'd enjoy a good tea.)Am glad the music cheered you up, and that you did manage to have a bit of fun. Again, apologies for insisting on that one drink, if you truly were set against it- considering I generally get that same kind of "NO, DRINKWITHUS!" thrown my way, I could have been a bit more supportive. On the good side, the absolute manliness of that one drink should count for your next three birthdays at least, or at least a significant number of future outings- you've paid in advance, now the good times can roll without sounding sloshy and full of alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, well thank you. Tea sometime sounds lovely

    ReplyDelete