Saturday, March 28, 2009

Things that make me irrationally happy

1. Fire.fm <--- Best thing the internet ever did. Here are some steps to make your life better.

Step 1: If you don't have Firefox, get it. If you already have it then skip this step and go to number 2
Step 2: Go to the add-ons section of the Firefox website and download Fire.fm
Step 3: Type in a musical act that you feel like listening too and click okay. It will start playing that artist and artists similiar to them.

Now, I knew about Last.fm and how you could listen to similar artists to ones that you liked but I didn't like the websites layout and it seemed like a hassle and you had to leave the browser open to their "play music" page else it'd stop. Fire.fm is an add-on that uses the power of Last.fm and puts a little mini-music-player right at the top of your internet and you can still go to different pages and stuff and THE MUSIC KEEPS GOING. Seriously, best invention ever. Here's a list of artists (off the top of my head) I have started listning to since getting this handy little bugger a month ago:

John Lee Hooker, Bukka White, Blind Willie Mctell, Fresh Maggots, The Incredible String Band, Something Happens, Fairport Convention, Dr. Strangely Strange, Soledad Brothers, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Cotten Mather, Comus, Velvet Crush, Amy Cook, The Small Faces, Humble Pie, The Pretty Things.

2. Trees! Tree's are super funtimes. If you're ever feeling down just go and climb a tree and then you'll be up. HA! Up. Get it? Yeah, I know it's lame but it leads me to my next happy thing. Puns!

3. Los puns son muy graciosos. Me encantalos! Wordplay is beautiful and intelligent and hilarious. This right here is my favoritest joke in the whole wide world. Best of all, it isn't even Math related (even though math puns are the best). It's a little long but the joke is well worth the reading. As well as puns I also enjoy spoonerisms, mondegreens, malapropisms, anagrams, and portmanteaus. People who are good at that stuff are basically automatically geniuses in my mind because I am not very good at wordplay things even though they make me smiley inside. Unrelated also: espirit d'escalier is a French phrase for thinking up something witty to say long after the conversation ended. This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I'm super witty inside my own head, you should check it out one day.

4. Live Music - No explanation necessary. There is nothing more happy than going to see a show, even if it's just some local band that no one's ever heard of before. Cause usually they wind up being crazy awesome. SUPPORT MUSIC! BURN THE RECORD COMPANYS! MUSICAL ANARCHY AAGH! Seriously though - go buy an album right now but make sure that it's by some band that you've never listened to and maybe have never even heard of before. Just get something with really cool looking cover art. It'll be great. I promise.

5. Ugly things - Man, ugly things are the coolest ever. I have this book and one of the characters is talking about this painting he has and he says "Of course it's ugly. Why else would I have it. I like it cause it's ugly" and I think that's the prettiest thing anybody has ever said. I have a very different perception of what sorts of things are pretty or nice looking and as a result I like alot of 'ugly' stuff.

6. Hugs and cuddling - People really ought to cuddle more often, it'd make them happier. When I rule the world I'm gonna make an international holiday where people have to make a fort out of beds and cushions and couches and everybody just sits under there and cuddles and watches movies and talks for the whole day. This holiday would be even better than Christmastime.

7. How most of my 'Angry' things are number related - Man, I am such a nerd. This is why people don't want to go out in public with me but that's okay cause I'd rather just stay home and hang out anyways. Finding stuff to do wastes precious time so let's just sit and talk okay?

8. Ou'rwageous Caw'kney Ak-cents. Vair aww so bloomin' wonderfu' arn'vey? Specially, when vey talk 'unred miles an 'our an' everyfing's so colourfu' an' vey use words that sound made up an' vair's a goo'chance tha' they don' even know wha' vair talkin' abou' bu' you buy i' anyway cause jus' listning to vem talk is plain bloody delightfu'.

4 comments:

  1. WOO 3, 4, 6, and 8!
    Cockney accent- that'd totally be on my list. Best accent ever. Not even a fantastically drunken Irish can top it.

    Also, just youtube-d Russel Brand. Holy balls, he's like a friggin' British version of Jack Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I checked, Jack Sparrow was British.

    Also: I don't see how you can dig 8 but not 5. Cockney is such a dirty ugly accent, working class and whatnot.

    And I just discovered that 8 + 3 = Rhyming Slang. Coolest thing ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a different perspective on "ugly." It's a negative term, for me- I reserve it for things that I'd rather see go down flaming than exist because they abuse either my eyesight, respectability in general, or the well-being of whoever interacts with it. If I enjoy something, on the other hand, no matter how uncommon or uncivilised it might be, I just don't see it as ugly. Ugly's a mean word- to me, it's more of an insult than a proper description.

    Oh, and he's pirate-British, not Dickens-era slangy British. Bit off the mark, but inspirin' nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete